• Abandoning Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Abandon
• Abandon Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cast or drive out; to banish; to expel; to reject.
- (v. t.) To give up absolutely; to forsake entirely ; to renounce utterly; to relinquish all connection with or concern on; to desert, as a person to whom one owes allegiance or fidelity; to quit; to surrender.
- (v. t.) Reflexively: To give (ones self) up without attempt at self-control; to yield (ones self) unrestrainedly; -- often in a bad sense.
- (v. t.) To relinquish all claim to; -- used when an insured person gives up to underwriters all claim to the property covered by a policy, which may remain after loss or damage by a peril insured against.
- (v.) Abandonment; relinquishment.
- (n.) A complete giving up to natural impulses; freedom from artificial constraint; careless freedom or ease.