• Absolute Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Loosed from any limitation or condition; uncontrolled; unrestricted; unconditional; as, absolute authority, monarchy, sovereignty, an absolute promise or command; absolute power; an absolute monarch.
- (a.) Complete in itself; perfect; consummate; faultless; as, absolute perfection; absolute beauty.
- (a.) Viewed apart from modifying influences or without comparison with other objects; actual; real; -- opposed to relative and comparative; as, absolute motion; absolute time or space.
- (a.) Loosed from, or unconnected by, dependence on any other being; self-existent; self-sufficing.
- (a.) Capable of being thought or conceived by itself alone; unconditioned; non-relative.
- (a.) Positive; clear; certain; not doubtful.
- (a.) Authoritative; peremptory.
- (a.) Pure; unmixed; as, absolute alcohol.
- (a.) Not immediately dependent on the other parts of the sentence in government; as, the case absolute. See Ablative absolute, under Ablative.
- (n.) In a plane, the two imaginary circular points at infinity; in space of three dimensions, the imaginary circle at infinity.
• Absoluteness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality of being absolute; independence of everything extraneous; unlimitedness; absolute power; independent reality; positiveness.