• Absorb Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To swallow up; to engulf; to overwhelm; to cause to disappear as if by swallowing up; to use up; to include.
- (v. t.) To suck up; to drink in; to imbibe; as a sponge or as the lacteals of the body.
- (v. t.) To engross or engage wholly; to occupy fully; as, absorbed in study or the pursuit of wealth.
- (v. t.) To take up by cohesive, chemical, or any molecular action, as when charcoal absorbs gases. So heat, light, and electricity are absorbed or taken up in the substances into which they pass.
• Absorbency Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Absorptiveness.
• Absorbent Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Absorbing; swallowing; absorptive.
- (n.) Anything which absorbs.
- (n.) Any substance which absorbs and neutralizes acid fluid in the stomach and bowels, as magnesia, chalk, etc.; also a substance e. g., iodine) which acts on the absorbent vessels so as to reduce enlarged and indurated parts.
- (n.) The vessels by which the processes of absorption are carried on, as the lymphatics in animals, the extremities of the roots in plants.