• Admit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To suffer to enter; to grant entrance, whether into a place, or into the mind, or consideration; to receive; to take; as, they were into his house; to admit a serious thought into the mind; to admit evidence in the trial of a cause.
- (v. t.) To give a right of entrance; as, a ticket admits one into a playhouse.
- (v. t.) To allow (one) to enter on an office or to enjoy a privilege; to recognize as qualified for a franchise; as, to admit an attorney to practice law; the prisoner was admitted to bail.
- (v. t.) To concede as true; to acknowledge or assent to, as an allegation which it is impossible to deny; to own or confess; as, the argument or fact is admitted; he admitted his guilt.
- (v. t.) To be capable of; to permit; as, the words do not admit such a construction. In this sense, of may be used after the verb, or may be omitted.
• Admittance Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of admitting.
- (n.) Permission to enter; the power or right of entrance; also, actual entrance; reception.
- (n.) Concession; admission; allowance; as, the admittance of an argument.
- (n.) Admissibility.
- (n.) The act of giving possession of a copyhold estate.
- (n.) The reciprocal of impedance.
• Admitted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Admit
- (a.) Received as true or valid; acknowledged.