• Affect Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To act upon; to produce an effect or change upon.
- (v. t.) To love; to regard with affection.
- (v. t.) To influence or move, as the feelings or passions; to touch.
- (v. t.) To assign; to appoint.
- (v. t.) To make a show of; to put on a pretense of; to feign; to assume; as, to affect ignorance.
- (n.) Affection; inclination; passion; feeling; disposition.
- (v. t.) To show a fondness for; to like to use or practice; to choose; hence, to frequent habitually.
- (v. t.) To dispose or incline.
- (v. t.) To tend to by affinity or disposition.
- (v. t.) To aim at; to aspire; to covet.
- (n.) The emotional complex associated with an idea or mental state. In hysteria, the affect is sometimes entirely dissociated, sometimes transferred to another than the original idea.
• Affectionate Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Proceeding from affection; indicating love; tender; as, the affectionate care of a parent; affectionate countenance, message, language.
- (a.) Strongly inclined; -- with to.
- (a.) Having affection or warm regard; loving; fond; as, an affectionate brother.
- (a.) Kindly inclined; zealous.
• Affectedness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Affectation.