• Alarming Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Alarm
- (a.) Exciting, or calculated to excite, alarm; causing apprehension of danger; as, an alarming crisis or report. -- A*larm"ing*ly, adv.
• Alarm Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To call to arms for defense; to give notice to (any one) of approaching danger; to rouse to vigilance and action; to put on the alert.
- (v. t.) To keep in excitement; to disturb.
- (n.) A sudden attack; disturbance; broil.
- (n.) Any sound or information intended to give notice of approaching danger; a warning sound to arouse attention; a warning of danger.
- (n.) A mechanical contrivance for awaking persons from sleep, or rousing their attention; an alarum.
- (v. t.) To surprise with apprehension of danger; to fill with anxiety in regard to threatening evil; to excite with sudden fear.
- (n.) Sudden surprise with fear or terror excited by apprehension of danger; in the military use, commonly, sudden apprehension of being attacked by surprise.
- (n.) A summons to arms, as on the approach of an enemy.