• Alloying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Alloy
• Alloy Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To reduce the purity of by mixing with a less valuable substance; as, to alloy gold with silver or copper, or silver with copper.
- (v. t.) To mix, as metals, so as to form a compound.
- (v. t.) The quality, or comparative purity, of gold or silver; fineness.
- (v. t.) Any combination or compound of metals fused together; a mixture of metals; for example, brass, which is an alloy of copper and zinc. But when mercury is one of the metals, the compound is called an amalgam.
- (v. t.) To form a metallic compound.
- (v. t.) A baser metal mixed with a finer.
- (v. t.) To abate, impair, or debase by mixture; to allay; as, to alloy pleasure with misfortunes.
- (v. t.) Admixture of anything which lessens the value or detracts from; as, no happiness is without alloy.