• Alternate Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Being or succeeding by turns; one following the other in succession of time or place; by turns first one and then the other; hence, reciprocal.
- (a.) Distributed, as leaves, singly at different heights of the stem, and at equal intervals as respects angular divergence.
- (v. i.) To vary by turns; as, the land alternates between rocky hills and sandy plains.
- (n.) A substitute; one designated to take the place of another, if necessary, in performing some duty.
- (v. i.) To happen, succeed, or act by turns; to follow reciprocally in place or time; -- followed by with; as, the flood and ebb tides alternate with each other.
- (n.) That which alternates with something else; vicissitude.
- (a.) Designating the members in a series, which regularly intervene between the members of another series, as the odd or even numbers of the numerals; every other; every second; as, the alternate members 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. ; read every alternate line.
- (n.) A proportion derived from another proportion by interchanging the means.
- (v. t.) To perform by turns, or in succession; to cause to succeed by turns; to interchange regularly.
• Alternately Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) By alternation; when, in a proportion, the antecedent term is compared with antecedent, and consequent.
- (adv.) In reciprocal succession; succeeding by turns; in alternate order.