• Alternated Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Alternate
• Alternat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A usage, among diplomats, of rotation in precedence among representatives of equal rank, sometimes determined by lot and at other times in regular order. The practice obtains in the signing of treaties and conventions between nations.
• Alternate Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Being or succeeding by turns; one following the other in succession of time or place; by turns first one and then the other; hence, reciprocal.
- (a.) Distributed, as leaves, singly at different heights of the stem, and at equal intervals as respects angular divergence.
- (v. i.) To vary by turns; as, the land alternates between rocky hills and sandy plains.
- (n.) A substitute; one designated to take the place of another, if necessary, in performing some duty.
- (v. i.) To happen, succeed, or act by turns; to follow reciprocally in place or time; -- followed by with; as, the flood and ebb tides alternate with each other.
- (n.) That which alternates with something else; vicissitude.
- (a.) Designating the members in a series, which regularly intervene between the members of another series, as the odd or even numbers of the numerals; every other; every second; as, the alternate members 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. ; read every alternate line.
- (n.) A proportion derived from another proportion by interchanging the means.
- (v. t.) To perform by turns, or in succession; to cause to succeed by turns; to interchange regularly.