• Appel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A tap or stamp of the foot as a warning of intent to attack; -- called also attack.
• Appellative Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A common name, in distinction from a proper name. A common name, or appellative, stands for a whole class, genus, or species of beings, or for universal ideas. Thus, tree is the name of all plants of a particular class; plant and vegetable are names of things that grow out of the earth. A proper name, on the other hand, stands for a single thing; as, Rome, Washington, Lake Erie.
- (a.) Pertaining to a common name; serving as a distinctive denomination; denominative; naming.
- (n.) An appellation or title; a descriptive name.
- (a.) Common, as opposed to proper; denominative of a class.
• Appellativeness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality of being appellative.