• Applying Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Apply
• Apply Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To make request; to have recourse with a view to gain something; to make application. (to); to solicit; as, to apply to a friend for information.
- (v. t.) To visit.
- (v. t.) To put to use; to use or employ for a particular purpose, or in a particular case; to appropriate; to devote; as, to apply money to the payment of a debt.
- (v. t.) To fix closely; to engage and employ diligently, or with attention; to attach; to incline.
- (v. i.) To ply; to move.
- (v. t.) To lay or place; to put or adjust (one thing to another); -- with to; as, to apply the hand to the breast; to apply medicaments to a diseased part of the body.
- (v. t.) To make use of, declare, or pronounce, as suitable, fitting, or relative; as, to apply the testimony to the case; to apply an epithet to a person.
- (v. t.) To busy; to keep at work; to ply.
- (v. t.) To betake; to address; to refer; -- used reflexively.
- (v. i.) To apply or address ones self; to give application; to attend closely (to).
- (v. i.) To suit; to agree; to have some connection, agreement, or analogy; as, this argument applies well to the case.
- (v. t.) To direct or address.