• Appointment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The exercise of the power of designating (under a "power of appointment") a person to enjoy an estate or other specific property; also, the instrument by which the designation is made.
- (n.) A honorary part or exercise, as an oration, etc., at a public exhibition of a college; as, to have an appointment.
- (n.) Stipulation; agreement; the act of fixing by mutual agreement. Hence:: Arrangement for a meeting; engagement; as, they made an appointment to meet at six.
- (n.) The act of appointing; designation of a person to hold an office or discharge a trust; as, he erred by the appointment of unsuitable men.
- (n.) The state of being appointed to som/ service or office; an office to which one is appointed; station; position; an, the appointment of treasurer.
- (n.) An allowance to a person, esp. to a public officer; a perquisite; -- properly only in the plural.
- (n.) Decree; direction; established order or constitution; as, to submit to the divine appointments.
- (n.) Equipment, furniture, as for a ship or an army; whatever is appointed for use and management; outfit; (pl.) the accouterments of military officers or soldiers, as belts, sashes, swords.