• Arches Definition & Synonyms
- () pl. of Arch, n.
• Arch Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A flat arch is a member constructed of stones cut into wedges or other shapes so as to support each other without rising in a curve.
- (v. t.) To form or bend into the shape of an arch.
- (n.) A chief.
- (v. i.) To form into an arch; to curve.
- (n.) Any part of a curved line.
- (n.) Any place covered by an arch; an archway; as, to pass into the arch of a bridge.
- (a.) Cunning or sly; sportively mischievous; roguish; as, an arch look, word, lad.
- (v. t.) To cover with an arch or arches.
- (a.) Chief; eminent; greatest; principal.
- (n.) Usually a curved member made up of separate wedge-shaped solids, with the joints between them disposed in the direction of the radii of the curve; used to support the wall or other weight above an opening. In this sense arches are segmental, round (i. e., semicircular), or pointed.
- (n.) Any curvature in the form of an arch; as, the arch of the aorta.