• Arresting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Arrest
- (a.) Striking; attracting attention; impressive.
• Arrest Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) The taking or apprehending of a person by authority of law; legal restraint; custody. Also, a decree, mandate, or warrant.
- (v. t.) A scurfiness of the back part of the hind leg of a horse; -- also named rat-tails.
- (v. t.) To seize on and fix; to hold; to catch; as, to arrest the eyes or attention.
- (v. t.) To rest or fasten; to fix; to concentrate.
- (v. t.) Any seizure by power, physical or moral.
- (v. t.) To take, seize, or apprehend by authority of law; as, to arrest one for debt, or for a crime.
- (v. t.) To stop; to check or hinder the motion or action of; as, to arrest the current of a river; to arrest the senses.
- (v. t.) The act of stopping, or restraining from further motion, etc.; stoppage; hindrance; restraint; as, an arrest of development.
- (v. i.) To tarry; to rest.