• Assay Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Tested purity or value.
- (v.) To try; to attempt; to apply.
- (n.) Trial; attempt; essay.
- (n.) Trial by danger or by affliction; adventure; risk; hardship; state of being tried.
- (n.) The alloy or metal to be assayed.
- (v.) To affect.
- (v.) To try tasting, as food or drink.
- (n.) The act or process of ascertaining the proportion of a particular metal in an ore or alloy; especially, the determination of the proportion of gold or silver in bullion or coin.
- (n.) Examination and determination; test; as, an assay of bread or wine.
- (v. i.) To attempt, try, or endeavor.
- (v.) To subject, as an ore, alloy, or other metallic compound, to chemical or metallurgical examination, in order to determine the amount of a particular metal contained in it, or to ascertain its composition.
• Assay ton Definition & Synonyms
- () A weight of 29.166 + grams used in assaying, for convenience. Since it bears the same relation to the milligram that a ton of 2000 avoirdupois pounds does to the troy ounce, the weight in milligrams of precious metal obtained from an assay ton of ore gives directly the number of ounces to the ton.
• Assayed Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Assay