• Augment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Enlargement by addition; increase.
- (v. t.) To enlarge or increase in size, amount, or degree; to swell; to make bigger; as, to augment an army by reeforcements; rain augments a stream; impatience augments an evil.
- (v. i.) To increase; to grow larger, stronger, or more intense; as, a stream augments by rain.
- (n.) A vowel prefixed, or a lengthening of the initial vowel, to mark past time, as in Greek and Sanskrit verbs.
- (v. t.) To add an augment to.
• Augmentative Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having the quality or power of augmenting; expressing augmentation.
- (n.) A word which expresses with augmented force the idea or the properties of the term from which it is derived; as, dullard, one very dull. Opposed to diminutive.