• Auxiliary Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A helper; an assistant; a confederate in some action or enterprise.
- (n.) Foreign troops in the service of a nation at war; (rarely in sing.), a member of the allied or subsidiary force.
- (sing.) A verb which helps to form the voices, modes, and tenses of other verbs; -- called, also, an auxiliary verb; as, have, be, may, can, do, must, shall, and will, in English; etre and avoir, in French; avere and essere, in Italian; estar and haber, in Spanish.
- (a.) Conferring aid or help; helping; aiding; assisting; subsidiary; as auxiliary troops.
- (sing.) A quantity introduced for the purpose of simplifying or facilitating some operation, as in equations or trigonometrical formulae.