• Averaging Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Average
• Average Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A contribution to a loss or charge which has been imposed upon one of several for the general benefit; damage done by sea perils.
- (n.) That service which a tenant owed his lord, to be done by the work beasts of the tenant, as the carriage of wheat, turf, etc.
- (n.) The equitable and proportionate distribution of loss or expense among all interested.
- (n.) In the English corn trade, the medial price of the several kinds of grain in the principal corn markets.
- (a.) Pertaining to an average or mean; medial; containing a mean proportion; of a mean size, quality, ability, etc.; ordinary; usual; as, an average rate of profit; an average amount of rain; the average Englishman; beings of the average stamp.
- (a.) According to the laws of averages; as, the loss must be made good by average contribution.
- (v. t.) To find the mean of, when sums or quantities are unequal; to reduce to a mean.
- (n.) A tariff or duty on goods, etc.
- (n.) Any medial estimate or general statement derived from a comparison of diverse specific cases; a medium or usual size, quantity, quality, rate, etc.
- (v. t.) To divide among a number, according to a given proportion; as, to average a loss.
- (n.) A mean proportion, medial sum or quantity, made out of unequal sums or quantities; an arithmetical mean. Thus, if A loses 5 dollars, B 9, and C 16, the sum is 30, and the average 10.
- (v. i.) To form, or exist in, a mean or medial sum or quantity; to amount to, or to be, on an average; as, the losses of the owners will average twenty five dollars each; these spars average ten feet in length.
- (n.) Any charge in addition to the regular charge for freight of goods shipped.
- (v. t.) To do, accomplish, get, etc., on an average.