• B Definition & Synonyms
- () is the second letter of the English alphabet. (See Guide to Pronunciation, // 196, 220.) It is etymologically related to p, v, f, w and m , letters representing sounds having a close organic affinity to its own sound; as in Eng. bursar and purser; Eng. bear and Lat. ferre; Eng. silver and Ger. silber; Lat. cubitum and It. gomito; Eng. seven, Anglo-Saxon seofon, Ger. sieben, Lat. septem, Gr."epta`, Sanskrit saptan. The form of letter B is Roman, from Greek B (Beta), of Semitic origin. The small b was formed by gradual change from the capital B.
• Bacchant Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A priest of Bacchus.
- (n.) A bacchanal; a reveler.
- (a.) Bacchanalian; fond of drunken revelry; wine-loving; reveling; carousing.
• Bacciferous Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Producing berries.