• Baited Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Bait
• Bait Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To furnish or cover with bait, as a trap or hook.
- (v. i.) Any substance, esp. food, used in catching fish, or other animals, by alluring them to a hook, snare, inclosure, or net.
- (v. i.) Anything which allures; a lure; enticement; temptation.
- (v. t.) To provoke and harass; esp., to harass or torment for sport; as, to bait a bear with dogs; to bait a bull.
- (v. i.) A portion of food or drink, as a refreshment taken on a journey; also, a stop for rest and refreshment.
- (v. i.) To stop to take a portion of food and drink for refreshment of ones self or ones beasts, on a journey.
- (v. t.) To give a portion of food and drink to, upon the road; as, to bait horses.
- (v. i.) A light or hasty luncheon.
- (v. i.) To flap the wings; to flutter as if to fly; or to hover, as a hawk when she stoops to her prey.