• Ball Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The globe or earth.
- (n.) A spherical body of any substance or size used to play with, as by throwing, knocking, kicking, etc.
- (n.) Any solid spherical, cylindrical, or conical projectile of lead or iron, to be discharged from a firearm; as, a cannon ball; a rifle ball; -- often used collectively; as, powder and ball. Spherical balls for the smaller firearms are commonly called bullets.
- (v. t.) To form or wind into a ball; as, to ball cotton.
- (n.) A social assembly for the purpose of dancing.
- (n.) A flaming, roundish body shot into the air; a case filled with combustibles intended to burst and give light or set fire, or to produce smoke or stench; as, a fire ball; a stink ball.
- (v. i.) To gather balls which cling to the feet, as of damp snow or clay; to gather into balls; as, the horse balls; the snow balls.
- (n.) A leather-covered cushion, fastened to a handle called a ballstock; -- formerly used by printers for inking the form, but now superseded by the roller.
- (v. t.) To heat in a furnace and form into balls for rolling.
- (n.) A general name for games in which a ball is thrown, kicked, or knocked. See Baseball, and Football.
- (n.) Any round or roundish body or mass; a sphere or globe; as, a ball of twine; a ball of snow.
- (n.) A large pill, a form in which medicine is commonly given to horses; a bolus.
- (n.) A roundish protuberant portion of some part of the body; as, the ball of the thumb; the ball of the foot.
- (n.) A pitched ball, not struck at by the batsman, which fails to pass over the home base at a height not greater than the batsmans shoulder nor less than his knee.
• Ball-flower Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An ornament resembling a ball placed in a circular flower, the petals of which form a cup round it, -- usually inserted in a hollow molding.
• Balloted Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Ballot