• Balloon Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To take up in, or as if in, a balloon.
- (n.) A bag made of silk or other light material, and filled with hydrogen gas or heated air, so as to rise and float in the atmosphere; especially, one with a car attached for aerial navigation.
- (n.) A round vessel, usually with a short neck, to hold or receive whatever is distilled; a glass vessel of a spherical form.
- (n.) The outline inclosing words represented as coming from the mouth of a pictured figure.
- (n.) A ball or globe on the top of a pillar, church, etc., as at St. Pauls, in London.
- (n.) A bomb or shell.
- (n.) A game played with a large inflated ball.
- (v. i.) To go up or voyage in a balloon.
- (v. i.) To expand, or puff out, like a balloon.
• Ballooning spider Definition & Synonyms
- () A spider which has the habit of rising into the air. Many kinds ( esp. species of Lycosa) do this while young by ejecting threads of silk until the force of the wind upon them carries the spider aloft.
• Balloonry Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The art or practice of ascending in a balloon; aeronautics.