• Ban Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Notice of a proposed marriage, proclaimed in church. See Banns (the common spelling in this sense).
- (v. t.) To forbid; to interdict.
- (v. t.) To curse; to invoke evil upon.
- (v. i.) To curse; to swear.
- (n.) A public proclamation or edict; a public order or notice, mandatory or prohibitory; a summons by public proclamation.
- (n.) A curse or anathema.
- (n.) A pecuniary mulct or penalty laid upon a delinquent for offending against a ban; as, a mulct paid to a bishop by one guilty of sacrilege or other crimes.
- (n.) A calling together of the kings (esp. the French kings) vassals for military service; also, the body of vassals thus assembled or summoned. In present usage, in France and Prussia, the most effective part of the population liable to military duty and not in the standing army.
- (n.) An interdiction, prohibition, or proscription.
- (n.) An ancient title of the warden of the eastern marches of Hungary; now, a title of the viceroy of Croatia and Slavonia.
• Banal Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Commonplace; trivial; hackneyed; trite.