• Band Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A company of persons united in any common design, especially a body of armed men.
- () imp. of Bind.
- (v. t.) A continuous tablet, stripe, or series of ornaments, as of carved foliage, of color, or of brickwork, etc.
- (v. t.) A narrow strip of cloth or other material on any article of dress, to bind, strengthen, ornament, or complete it.
- (v. t.) To unite in a troop, company, or confederacy.
- (v. t.) A space between elevated lines or ribs, as of the fruits of umbelliferous plants.
- (v. t.) To mark with a band.
- (v. t.) A number of musicians who play together upon portable musical instruments, especially those making a loud sound, as certain wind instruments (trumpets, clarinets, etc.), and drums, or cymbals.
- (v. t.) That which serves as the means of union or connection between persons; a tie.
- (v. t.) A stripe, streak, or other mark transverse to the axis of the body.
- (v. t.) A linen collar or ruff worn in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- (v. t.) Two strips of linen hanging from the neck in front as part of a clerical, legal, or academic dress.
- (v. t.) Pledge; security.
- (v. t.) To bandy; to drive away.
- (v. t.) A fillet, strap, or any narrow ligament with which a thing is encircled, or fastened, or by which a number of things are tied, bound together, or confined; a fetter.
- (v. t.) A bond
- (v. t.) To bind or tie with a band.
- (v. i.) To confederate for some common purpose; to unite; to conspire together.
- (v. t.) In Gothic architecture, the molding, or suite of moldings, which encircles the pillars and small shafts.
- (v. t.) A belt or strap.
• Ban Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Notice of a proposed marriage, proclaimed in church. See Banns (the common spelling in this sense).
- (v. t.) To forbid; to interdict.
- (v. t.) To curse; to invoke evil upon.
- (v. i.) To curse; to swear.
- (n.) A public proclamation or edict; a public order or notice, mandatory or prohibitory; a summons by public proclamation.
- (n.) A curse or anathema.
- (n.) A pecuniary mulct or penalty laid upon a delinquent for offending against a ban; as, a mulct paid to a bishop by one guilty of sacrilege or other crimes.
- (n.) A calling together of the kings (esp. the French kings) vassals for military service; also, the body of vassals thus assembled or summoned. In present usage, in France and Prussia, the most effective part of the population liable to military duty and not in the standing army.
- (n.) An interdiction, prohibition, or proscription.
- (n.) An ancient title of the warden of the eastern marches of Hungary; now, a title of the viceroy of Croatia and Slavonia.
• Band fish Definition & Synonyms
- () A small red fish of the genus Cepola; the ribbon fish.