• Battening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Batten
- (n.) Furring done with small pieces nailed directly upon the wall.
• Batten Definition & Synonyms
- (n .) A strip of sawed stuff, or a scantling; as, (a) pl. (Com. & Arch.) Sawed timbers about 7 by 2 1/2 inches and not less than 6 feet long. Brande & C. (b) (Naut.) A strip of wood used in fastening the edges of a tarpaulin to the deck, also around masts to prevent chafing. (c) A long, thin strip used to strengthen a part, to cover a crack, etc.
- (v. t.) To make fat by plenteous feeding; to fatten.
- (v. t.) The movable bar of a loom, which strikes home or closes the threads of a woof.
- (v. t.) To fertilize or enrich, as land.
- (v. t.) To furnish or fasten with battens.
- (v. i.) To grow fat; to grow fat in ease and luxury; to glut ones self.