• Bearing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That part of any member of a building which rests upon its supports; as, a lintel or beam may have four inches of bearing upon the wall.
- (n.) The manner in which one bears or conducts ones self; mien; behavior; carriage.
- (n.) The situation of a distant object, with regard to a ships position, as on the bow, on the lee quarter, etc.; the direction or point of the compass in which an object is seen; as, the bearing of the cape was W. N. W.
- (n.) Improperly, the unsupported span; as, the beam has twenty feet of bearing between its supports.
- (n.) Purport; meaning; intended significance; aspect.
- (n.) The part of an axle or shaft in contact with its support, collar, or boxing; the journal.
- (n.) The line of flotation of a vessel when properly trimmed with cargo or ballast.
- (n.) The widest part of a vessel below the plank-sheer.
- (n.) Patient endurance; suffering without complaint.
- (n.) The part of the support on which a journal rests and rotates.
- (n.) Any single emblem or charge in an escutcheon or coat of arms -- commonly in the pl.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Bear
- (n.) The situation of one object, with respect to another, such situation being supposed to have a connection with the object, or influence upon it, or to be influenced by it; hence, relation; connection.
- (n.) The portion of a support on which anything rests.
- (n.) The act, power, or time of producing or giving birth; as, a tree in full bearing; a tree past bearing.
• Bear Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To gain or win.
- (n.) Metaphorically: A brutal, coarse, or morose person.
- (v. t.) To manage, wield, or direct.
- (v. t.) To render or give; to bring forward.
- (v. i.) To have a certain meaning, intent, or effect.
- (v. i.) To endure with patience; to be patient.
- (v. i.) To relate or refer; -- with on or upon; as, how does this bear on the question?
- (v. t.) To behave; to conduct.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to depress the price of, or prices in; as, to bear a railroad stock; to bear the market.
- (v. t.) To admit or be capable of; that is, to suffer or sustain without violence, injury, or change.
- (v. t.) To possess mentally; to carry or hold in the mind; to entertain; to harbor
- (v. i.) To press; -- with on or upon, or against.
- (n.) A bier.
- (v. t.) To afford; to be to; to supply with.
- (n.) A person who sells stocks or securities for future delivery in expectation of a fall in the market.
- (n.) A portable punching machine.
- (n.) One of two constellations in the northern hemisphere, called respectively the Great Bear and the Lesser Bear, or Ursa Major and Ursa Minor.
- (n.) A block covered with coarse matting; -- used to scour the deck.
- (v. i.) To take effect; to have influence or force; as, to bring matters to bear.
- (v. t.) To conduct; to bring; -- said of persons.
- (v. t.) To support or sustain; to hold up.
- (v. t.) To support and remove or carry; to convey.
- (n.) Alt. of Bere
- (v. t.) To sustain; to have on (written or inscribed, or as a mark), as, the tablet bears this inscription.
- (n.) Any species of the genus Ursus, and of the closely allied genera. Bears are plantigrade Carnivora, but they live largely on fruit and insects.
- (v. i.) To produce, as fruit; to be fruitful, in opposition to barrenness.
- (n.) An animal which has some resemblance to a bear in form or habits, but no real affinity; as, the woolly bear; ant bear; water bear; sea bear.
- (v. t.) To possess and use, as power; to exercise.
- (v. t.) To sustain, or be answerable for, as blame, expense, responsibility, etc.
- (v. t.) To bring forth or produce; to yield; as, to bear apples; to bear children; to bear interest.
- (v. t.) To endure; to tolerate; to undergo; to suffer.
- (v. t.) To possess or carry, as a mark of authority or distinction; to wear; as, to bear a sword, badge, or name.
- (v. i.) To suffer, as in carrying a burden.
- (v. i.) To be situated, as to the point of compass, with respect to something else; as, the land bears N. by E.
- (v. t.) To carry on, or maintain; to have.
• Bearing cloth Definition & Synonyms
- () A cloth with which a child is covered when carried to be baptized.
• Bearing rein Definition & Synonyms
- () A short rein looped over the check hook or the hames to keep the horses head up; -- called in the United States a checkrein.