• Bel Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The Babylonian name of the god known among the Hebrews as Baal. See Baal.
- (n.) A thorny rutaceous tree (Aegle marmelos) of India, and its aromatic, orange-like fruit; -- called also Bengal quince, golden apple, wood apple. The fruit is used medicinally, and the rind yields a perfume and a yellow dye.
• Belched Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Belch
• Belemnite Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A conical calcareous fossil, tapering to a point at the lower extremity, with a conical cavity at the other end, where it is ordinarily broken; but when perfect it contains a small chambered cone, called the phragmocone, prolonged, on one side, into a delicate concave blade; the thunderstone. It is the internal shell of a cephalopod related to the sepia, and belonging to an extinct family. The belemnites are found in rocks of the Jurassic and Cretaceous ages.