• Bell Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) That part of the capital of a column included between the abacus and neck molding; also used for the naked core of nearly cylindrical shape, assumed to exist within the leafage of a capital.
- (v. i.) To develop bells or corollas; to take the form of a bell; to blossom; as, hops bell.
- (n.) The strikes of the bell which mark the time; or the time so designated.
- (n.) A hollow metallic vessel, usually shaped somewhat like a cup with a flaring mouth, containing a clapper or tongue, and giving forth a ringing sound on being struck.
- (v. t.) To make bell-mouthed; as, to bell a tube.
- (n.) Anything in the form of a bell, as the cup or corol of a flower.
- (v. t.) To put a bell upon; as, to bell the cat.
- (n.) A hollow perforated sphere of metal containing a loose ball which causes it to sound when moved.
- (v. t.) To utter by bellowing.
- (v. i.) To call or bellow, as the deer in rutting time; to make a bellowing sound; to roar.
• Bellipotent Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr.) Mighty in war; armipotent.
• Bell jar Definition & Synonyms
- () A glass vessel, varying in size, open at the bottom and closed at the top like a bell, and having a knob or handle at the top for lifting it. It is used for a great variety of purposes; as, with the air pump, and for holding gases, also for keeping the dust from articles exposed to view.