• Bend Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) same as caisson disease. Usually referred to as the bends.
- (v. i.) To be moved or strained out of a straight line; to crook or be curving; to bow.
- (n.) A band.
- (n.) Turn; purpose; inclination; ends.
- (n.) A knot by which one rope is fastened to another or to an anchor, spar, or post.
- (v. t.) To apply closely or with interest; to direct.
- (v. i.) To be inclined; to be directed.
- (n.) One of the honorable ordinaries, containing a third or a fifth part of the field. It crosses the field diagonally from the dexter chief to the sinister base.
- (n.) A turn or deflection from a straight line or from the proper direction or normal position; a curve; a crook; as, a slight bend of the body; a bend in a road.
- (v. i.) To jut over; to overhang.
- (v. t.) To strain or move out of a straight line; to crook by straining; to make crooked; to curve; to make ready for use by drawing into a curve; as, to bend a bow; to bend the knee.
- (v. t.) To turn toward some certain point; to direct; to incline.
- (v. t.) To fasten, as one rope to another, or as a sail to its yard or stay; or as a cable to the ring of an anchor.
- (v. i.) To bow in prayer, or in token of submission.
- (v. t.) To cause to yield; to render submissive; to subdue.
- (n.) Hard, indurated clay; bind.
- (n.) The best quality of sole leather; a butt. See Butt.
• Ben Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A hoglike mammal of New Guinea (Porcula papuensis).
- () Alt. of Ben nut
- (adv.) The inner or principal room in a hut or house of two rooms; -- opposed to but, the outer apartment.
- () An old form of the pl. indic. pr. of Be.
- (adv. & prep.) Within; in; in or into the interior; toward the inner apartment.
• Bendable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being bent.