• Betray Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To violate the confidence of, by disclosing a secret, or that which one is bound in honor not to make known.
- (v. t.) To mislead; to expose to inconvenience not foreseen to lead into error or sin.
- (v. t.) To show or to indicate; -- said of what is not obvious at first, or would otherwise be concealed.
- (v. t.) To lead astray, as a maiden; to seduce (as under promise of marriage) and then abandon.
- (v. t.) To disclose or discover, as something which prudence would conceal; to reveal unintentionally.
- (v. t.) To deliver into the hands of an enemy by treachery or fraud, in violation of trust; to give up treacherously or faithlessly; as, an officer betrayed the city.
- (v. t.) To prove faithless or treacherous to, as to a trust or one who trusts; to be false to; to deceive; as, to betray a person or a cause.
• Betrayal Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or the result of betraying.
• Betrayer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, betrays.