• Billing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Bill
- (a. & n.) Caressing; kissing.
• Bill Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To advertise by a bill or public notice.
- (v. i.) To join bills, as doves; to caress in fondness.
- (n.) A weapon of infantry, in the 14th and 15th centuries. A common form of bill consisted of a broad, heavy, double-edged, hook-shaped blade, having a short pike at the back and another at the top, and attached to the end of a long staff.
- (n.) An account of goods sold, services rendered, or work done, with the price or charge; a statement of a creditors claim, in gross or by items; as, a grocers bill.
- (v. t.) To charge or enter in a bill; as, to bill goods.
- (n.) One who wields a bill; a billman.
- (n.) A form or draft of a law, presented to a legislature for enactment; a proposed or projected law.
- (n.) A declaration made in writing, stating some wrong the complainant has suffered from the defendant, or a fault committed by some person against a law.
- (n.) A beak, as of a bird, or sometimes of a turtle or other animal.
- (n.) A pickax, or mattock.
- (n.) The bell, or boom, of the bittern
- (v. t.) To work upon ( as to dig, hoe, hack, or chop anything) with a bill.
- (v. i.) To strike; to peck.
- (n.) A writing binding the signer or signers to pay a certain sum at a future day or on demand, with or without interest, as may be stated in the document.
- (n.) A cutting instrument, with hook-shaped point, and fitted with a handle; -- used in pruning, etc.; a billhook. When short, called a hand bill, when long, a hedge bill.
- (n.) The extremity of the arm of an anchor; the point of or beyond the fluke.
- (n.) A paper, written or printed, and posted up or given away, to advertise something, as a lecture, a play, or the sale of goods; a placard; a poster; a handbill.
- (n.) Any paper, containing a statement of particulars; as, a bill of charges or expenditures; a weekly bill of mortality; a bill of fare, etc.
- () An act or a bill conferring upon a chief executive, as a governor or mayor, large powers of appointment and removal of heads of departments or other subordinate officials.
, Bank bill
, Bank note
• Billingsgate Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A market near the Billings gate in London, celebrated for fish and foul language.
- (n.) Coarsely abusive, foul, or profane language; vituperation; ribaldry.