• Bitters Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) A liquor, generally spirituous in which a bitter herb, leaf, or root is steeped.
• Bitter Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) Mournful; sad; distressing; painful; pitiable.
- (n.) Any substance that is bitter. See Bitters.
- (v. t.) Causing, or fitted to cause, pain or distress to the mind; calamitous; poignant.
- (v. t.) Characterized by sharpness, severity, or cruelty; harsh; stern; virulent; as, bitter reproach.
- (v. t.) Causing pain or smart; piercing; painful; sharp; severe; as, a bitter cold day.
- (n.) AA turn of the cable which is round the bitts.
- (v. t.) Having a peculiar, acrid, biting taste, like that of wormwood or an infusion of hops; as, a bitter medicine; bitter as aloes.
- (v. t.) To make bitter.
• Bittersweet Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An American woody climber (Celastrus scandens), whose yellow capsules open late in autumn, and disclose the red aril which covers the seeds; -- also called Roxbury waxwork.
- (n.) A kind of apple so called.
- (a.) Sweet and then bitter or bitter and then sweet; esp. sweet with a bitter after taste; hence (Fig.), pleasant but painful.
- (n.) Anything which is bittersweet.
- (n.) A climbing shrub, with oval coral-red berries (Solanum dulcamara); woody nightshade. The whole plant is poisonous, and has a taste at first sweetish and then bitter. The branches are the officinal dulcamara.