• Blackfish Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fish of southern Europe (Centrolophus pompilus) of the Mackerel family.
- (n.) The tautog of New England (Tautoga).
- (n.) The female salmon in the spawning season.
- (n.) A small kind of whale, of the genus Globicephalus, of several species. The most common is G. melas. Also sometimes applied to other whales of larger size.
- (n.) The black sea bass (Centropristis atrarius) of the Atlantic coast. It is excellent food fish; -- locally called also black Harry.