• Blanched Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Blanch
• Blanch Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To cause to turn aside or back; as, to blanch a deer.
- (a.) To whiten, as the surface of meat, by plunging into boiling water and afterwards into cold, so as to harden the surface and retain the juices.
- (a.) To bleach by excluding the light, as the stalks or leaves of plants, by earthing them up or tying them together.
- (a.) To give a white luster to (silver, before stamping, in the process of coining.).
- (a.) To cover (sheet iron) with a coating of tin.
- (a.) Fig.: To whiten; to give a favorable appearance to; to whitewash; to palliate.
- (a.) To take the color out of, and make white; to bleach; as, to blanch linen; age has blanched his hair.
- (v. i.) To use evasion.
- (a.) To make white by removing the skin of, as by scalding; as, to blanch almonds.
- (v. i.) To grow or become white; as, his cheek blanched with fear; the rose blanches in the sun.
- (v. t.) To avoid, as from fear; to evade; to leave unnoticed.
- (n.) Ore, not in masses, but mixed with other minerals.