• Blue Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A pedantic woman; a bluestocking.
- (superl.) Low in spirits; melancholy; as, to feel blue.
- (pl.) Low spirits; a fit of despondency; melancholy.
- (v. t.) To make blue; to dye of a blue color; to make blue by heating, as metals, etc.
- (n.) One of the seven colors into which the rays of light divide themselves, when refracted through a glass prism; the color of the clear sky, or a color resembling that, whether lighter or darker; a pigment having such color. Sometimes, poetically, the sky.
- (superl.) Suited to produce low spirits; gloomy in prospect; as, thongs looked blue.
- (superl.) Severe or over strict in morals; gloom; as, blue and sour religionists; suiting one who is over strict in morals; inculcating an impracticable, severe, or gloomy mortality; as, blue laws.
- (superl.) Having the color of the clear sky, or a hue resembling it, whether lighter or darker; as, the deep, blue sea; as blue as a sapphire; blue violets.
- (superl.) Pale, without redness or glare, -- said of a flame; hence, of the color of burning brimstone, betokening the presence of ghosts or devils; as, the candle burns blue; the air was blue with oaths.
- (superl.) Literary; -- applied to women; -- an abbreviation of bluestocking.
• Blueberry Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The berry of several species of Vaccinium, an ericaceous genus, differing from the American huckleberries in containing numerous minute seeds instead of ten nutlets. The commonest species are V. Pennsylvanicum and V. vacillans. V. corymbosum is the tall blueberry.
• Blued Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Blue