• Bluff Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An act of bluffing; an expression of self-confidence for the purpose of intimidation; braggadocio; as, that is only bluff, or a bluff.
- (v. t.) To deter (an opponent) from taking the risk of betting on his hand of cards, as the bluffer does by betting heavily on his own hand although it may be of less value.
- (v. i.) To act as in the game of bluff.
- (a.) Having a broad, flattened front; as, the bluff bows of a ship.
- (a.) Rising steeply with a flat or rounded front.
- (a.) Abrupt; roughly frank; unceremonious; blunt; brusque; as, a bluff answer; a bluff manner of talking; a bluff sea captain.
- (n.) A high, steep bank, as by a river or the sea, or beside a ravine or plain; a cliff with a broad face.
- (a.) Surly; churlish; gruff; rough.
- (v. t.) To frighten or deter from accomplishing a purpose by making a show of confidence in ones strength or resources; as, he bluffed me off.
- (n.) A game at cards; poker.
• Bluffy Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Inclined to bo bluff; brusque.
- (a.) Having bluffs, or bold, steep banks.
• Bluffness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The quality or state of being bluff.