• Book Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: Account book
- (v. t.) To mark out for; to destine or assign for; as, he is booked for the valedictory.
- (n.) A volume or collection of sheets in which accounts are kept; a register of debts and credits, receipts and expenditures, etc.
- (n.) A part or subdivision of a treatise or literary work; as, the tenth book of "Paradise Lost."
- (n.) A collection of sheets of paper, or similar material, blank, written, or printed, bound together; commonly, many folded and bound sheets containing continuous printing or writing.
- (v. t.) To enter the name of (any one) in a book for the purpose of securing a passage, conveyance, or seat; as, to be booked for Southampton; to book a seat in a theater.
- (v. t.) To enter, write, or register in a book or list.
- (n.) Six tricks taken by one side, in the game of whist; in certain other games, two or more corresponding cards, forming a set.
- (n.) A composition, written or printed; a treatise.
• Bookmaker Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who writes and publishes books; especially, one who gathers his materials from other books; a compiler.
- (n.) A betting man who "makes a book." See To make a book, under Book, n.
• Bookmark Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Something placed in a book to guide in finding a particular page or passage; also, a label in a book to designate the owner; a bookplate.