• Boss Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A projecting ornament placed at the intersection of the ribs of ceilings, whether vaulted or flat, and in other situations.
- (n.) Any protuberant part; a round, swelling part or body; a knoblike process; as, a boss of wood.
- (n.) A head or reservoir of water.
- (v. t.) To ornament with bosses; to stud.
- (n.) A protuberant ornament on any work, either of different material from that of the work or of the same, as upon a buckler or bridle; a stud; a knob; the central projection of a shield. See Umbilicus.
- (n.) A wooden vessel for the mortar used in tiling or masonry, hung by a hook from the laths, or from the rounds of a ladder.
- (n.) A swage or die used for shaping metals.
- (n.) A master workman or superintendent; a director or manager; a political dictator.
- (n.) The enlarged part of a shaft, on which a wheel is keyed, or at the end, where it is coupled to another.
• Bos Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A genus of ruminant quadrupeds, including the wild and domestic cattle, distinguished by a stout body, hollow horns, and a large fold of skin hanging from the neck.
• Bossage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Rustic work, consisting of stones which seem to advance beyond the level of the building, by reason of indentures or channels left in the joinings.
- (n.) A stone in a building, left rough and projecting, to be afterward carved into shape.
• Bossism Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The rule or practices of bosses, esp. political bosses.