• Bow Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The bending or rounded part of a ship forward; the stream or prow.
- (v. t.) To bend or incline, as the head or body, in token of respect, gratitude, assent, homage, or condescension.
- (v. t.) An arcograph.
- (v. i.) To play (music) with a bow.
- (v. i.) To bend; to curve.
- (v. t.) To cause to deviate from straightness; to bend; to inflect; to make crooked or curved.
- (n.) An inclination of the head, or a bending of the body, in token of reverence, respect, civility, or submission; an obeisance; as, a bow of deep humility.
- (v. i. ) To manage the bow.
- (v. t.) The U-shaped piece which embraces the neck of an ox and fastens it to the yoke.
- (v. t.) To exercise powerful or controlling influence over; to bend, figuratively; to turn; to incline.
- (v. t.) A weapon made of a strip of wood, or other elastic material, with a cord connecting the two ends, by means of which an arrow is propelled.
- (v. t.) Any instrument consisting of an elastic rod, with ends connected by a string, employed for giving reciprocating motion to a drill, or for preparing and arranging the hair, fur, etc., used by hatters.
- (v. t.) To cause to bend down; to prostrate; to depress,;/ to crush; to subdue.
- (v. t.) Anything bent, or in the form of a curve, as the rainbow.
- (n.) One who rows in the forward part of a boat; the bow oar.
- (v. i.) To incline the head in token of salutation, civility, or assent; to make bow.
- (v. i.) To stop.
- (v. t.) A rude sort of quadrant formerly used for taking the suns altitude at sea.
- (v. t.) To express by bowing; as, to bow ones thanks.
- (v. t.) An ornamental knot, with projecting loops, formed by doubling a ribbon or string.
- (v. i.) To bend the head, knee, or body, in token of reverence or submission; -- often with down.
- (sing. or pl.) Two pieces of wood which form the arched forward part of a saddletree.
- (v. t.) An appliance consisting of an elastic rod, with a number of horse hairs stretched from end to end of it, used in playing on a stringed instrument.
• Bow-compass Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An arcograph.
- (n.) A small pair of compasses, one leg of which carries a pencil, or a pen, for drawing circles. Its legs are often connected by a bow-shaped spring, instead of by a joint.
- (n.) A pair of compasses, with a bow or arched plate riveted to one of the legs, and passing through the other.
• Bowdlerize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To expurgate, as a book, by omitting or modifying the parts considered offensive.