• Boxing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The external case of thin material used to bring any member to a required form.
- (n.) The act of fighting with the fist; a combat with the fist; sparring.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Box
- (n.) Material used in making boxes or casings.
- (n.) The act of inclosing (anything) in a box, as for storage or transportation.
- (n.) Any boxlike inclosure or recess; a casing.
• Box Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To boxhaul.
- (v. t.) To furnish with boxes, as a wheel.
- (n.) A tree or shrub, flourishing in different parts of the world. The common box (Buxus sempervirens) has two varieties, one of which, the dwarf box (B. suffruticosa), is much used for borders in gardens. The wood of the tree varieties, being very hard and smooth, is extensively used in the arts, as by turners, engravers, mathematical instrument makers, etc.
- (n.) A blow on the head or ear with the hand.
- (n.) A chest or any receptacle for the deposit of money; as, a poor box; a contribution box.
- (n.) The square in which the pitcher stands.
- (n.) A chamber or section of tube in which a valve works; the bucket of a lifting pump.
- (n.) An axle box, journal box, journal bearing, or bushing.
- (n.) A space with a few seats partitioned off in a theater, or other place of public amusement.
- (n.) A boxlike shed for shelter; as, a sentry box.
- (n.) The quantity that a box contain.
- (n.) A small country house.
- (v. t.) To inclose with boarding, lathing, etc., so as to bring to a required form.
- (n.) A present in a box; a present; esp. a Christmas box or gift.
- (n.) A Mediterranean food fish; the bogue.
- (v. i.) To fight with the fist; to combat with, or as with, the hand or fist; to spar.
- (n.) The drivers seat on a carriage or coach.
- (n.) A receptacle or case of any firm material and of various shapes.
- (v. t.) To strike with the hand or fist, especially to strike on the ear, or on the side of the head.
- (v. t.) To inclose in a box.
• Boxing day Definition & Synonyms
- () The first week day after Christmas, a legal holiday on which Christmas boxes are given to postmen, errand boys, employees, etc. The night of this day is boxing night.