• Brain Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The organ or seat of intellect; hence, the understanding.
- (v. t.) To dash out the brains of; to kill by beating out the brains. Hence, Fig.: To destroy; to put an end to; to defeat.
- (v. t.) To conceive; to understand.
- (n.) The anterior or cephalic ganglion in insects and other invertebrates.
- (n.) The whitish mass of soft matter (the center of the nervous system, and the seat of consciousness and volition) which is inclosed in the cartilaginous or bony cranium of vertebrate animals. It is simply the anterior termination of the spinal cord, and is developed from three embryonic vesicles, whose cavities are connected with the central canal of the cord; the cavities of the vesicles become the central cavities, or ventricles, and the walls thicken unequally and become the three segments, the fore-, mid-, and hind-brain.
- (n.) The affections; fancy; imagination.
• Brained Definition & Synonyms
- (p.a.) Supplied with brains.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Brain
• Brainless Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Without understanding; silly; thoughtless; witless.