• Brass Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Lumps of pyrites or sulphuret of iron, the color of which is near to that of brass.
- (n.) A brass plate engraved with a figure or device. Specifically, one used as a memorial to the dead, and generally having the portrait, coat of arms, etc.
- (n.) A journal bearing, so called because frequently made of brass. A brass is often lined with a softer metal, when the latter is generally called a white metal lining. See Axle box, Journal Box, and Bearing.
- (n.) An alloy (usually yellow) of copper and zinc, in variable proportion, but often containing two parts of copper to one part of zinc. It sometimes contains tin, and rarely other metals.
- (n.) Impudence; a brazen face.
- (n.) Utensils, ornaments, or other articles of brass.
- (n.) Coin made of copper, brass, or bronze.
• Brassage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A sum formerly levied to pay the expense of coinage; -- now called seigniorage.
• Brass-visaged Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Impudent; bold.