• Breed Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To be formed in the parent or dam; to be generated, or to grow, as young before birth.
- (v. i.) To raise a breed; to get progeny.
- (v. i.) To have birth; to be produced or multiplied.
- (v. t.) To take care of in infancy, and through the age of youth; to bring up; to nurse and foster.
- (n.) A race or variety of men or other animals (or of plants), perpetuating its special or distinctive characteristics by inheritance.
- (v. t.) To educate; to instruct; to form by education; to train; -- sometimes followed by up.
- (v. t.) To produce or obtain by any natural process.
- (n.) A number produced at once; a brood.
- (v. t.) To engender; to cause; to occasion; to originate; to produce; as, to breed a storm; to breed disease.
- (n.) Class; sort; kind; -- of men, things, or qualities.
- (v. t.) To raise, as any kind of stock.
- (v. t.) To produce as offspring; to bring forth; to bear; to procreate; to generate; to beget; to hatch.
- (v. t.) To give birth to; to be the native place of; as, a pond breeds fish; a northern country breeds stout men.
- (v. i.) To bear and nourish young; to reproduce or multiply itself; to be pregnant.
• Breedbate Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who breeds or originates quarrels.
• Breeder Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who, or that which, breeds, produces, brings up, etc.
- (n.) A cause.
• Breede Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Breadth.
• Breeding Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Nurture; education; formation of manners.
- (n.) Descent; pedigree; extraction.
- (n.) The raising or improving of any kind of domestic animals; as, farmers should pay attention to breeding.
- (n.) Deportment or behavior in the external offices and decorums of social life; manners; knowledge of, or training in, the ceremonies, or polite observances of society.
- (n.) The act or process of generating or bearing.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Breed