• Bridgeing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The system of bracing used between floor or other timbers to distribute the weight.
• Bridge Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A low wall or vertical partition in the fire chamber of a furnace, for deflecting flame, etc.; -- usually called a bridge wall.
- (n.) Anything supported at the ends, which serves to keep some other thing from resting upon the object spanned, as in engraving, watchmaking, etc., or which forms a platform or staging over which something passes or is conveyed.
- (n.) A device to measure the resistance of a wire or other conductor forming part of an electric circuit.
- (v. t.) To build a bridge or bridges on or over; as, to bridge a river.
- (n.) A structure, usually of wood, stone, brick, or iron, erected over a river or other water course, or over a chasm, railroad, etc., to make a passageway from one bank to the other.
- (n.) The small arch or bar at right angles to the strings of a violin, guitar, etc., serving of raise them and transmit their vibrations to the body of the instrument.
- (v. t.) To open or make a passage, as by a bridge.
- (v. t.) To find a way of getting over, as a difficulty; -- generally with over.
- (n.) A card game resembling whist.