• Broad Definition & Synonyms
- (superl.) Extending far and wide; extensive; vast; as, the broad expanse of ocean.
- (superl.) Characterized by breadth. See Breadth.
- (n.) The spread of a river into a sheet of water; a flooded fen.
- (superl.) Free; unrestrained; unconfined.
- (superl.) Extended, in the sense of diffused; open; clear; full.
- (superl.) Fig.: Having a large measure of any thing or quality; not limited; not restrained; -- applied to any subject, and retaining the literal idea more or less clearly, the precise meaning depending largely on the substantive.
- (superl.) Comprehensive; liberal; enlarged.
- (superl.) Wide; extend in breadth, or from side to side; -- opposed to narrow; as, a broad street, a broad table; an inch broad.
- (superl.) Strongly marked; as, a broad Scotch accent.
- (n.) The broad part of anything; as, the broad of an oar.
- (n.) A lathe tool for turning down the insides and bottoms of cylinders.
- (superl.) Plain; evident; as, a broad hint.
- (superl.) Cross; coarse; indelicate; as, a broad compliment; a broad joke; broad humor.
• Broadbill Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A wild duck (Aythya, / Fuligula, marila), which appears in large numbers on the eastern coast of the United States, in autumn; -- called also bluebill, blackhead, raft duck, and scaup duck. See Scaup duck.
- (n.) The shoveler. See Shoveler.
• Broadspreading Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Spreading widely.
• Broad gauge Definition & Synonyms
- () A wider distance between the rails than the "standard" gauge of four feet eight inches and a half. See Gauge.