• Brown Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To make brown by scorching slightly; as, to brown meat or flour.
- (superl.) Of a dark color, of various shades between black and red or yellow.
- (v. t.) To give a bright brown color to, as to gun barrels, by forming a thin coat of oxide on their surface.
- (v. t.) To make brown or dusky.
- (v. i.) To become brown.
- (n.) A dark color inclining to red or yellow, resulting from the mixture of red and black, or of red, black, and yellow; a tawny, dusky hue.
• Browning Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act or operation of giving a brown color, as to gun barrels, etc.
- (n.) A smooth coat of brown mortar, usually the second coat, and the preparation for the finishing coat of plaster.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Brown
• Brownwort Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A species of figwort or Scrophularia (S. vernalis), and other species of the same genus, mostly perennials with inconspicuous coarse flowers.