• Buff Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The grayish viscid substance constituting the buffy coat. See Buffy coat, under Buffy, a.
- (a.) A wheel covered with buff leather, and used in polishing cutlery, spoons, etc.
- (a.) Made of buff leather.
- (a.) Firm; sturdy.
- (v. t.) To polish with a buff. See Buff, n., 5.
- (a.) The bare skin; as, to strip to the buff.
- (n.) The color of buff; a light yellow, shading toward pink, gray, or brown.
- (a.) Of the color of buff.
- (n.) A buffet; a blow; -- obsolete except in the phrase "Blindmans buff."
- (n.) A sort of leather, prepared from the skin of the buffalo, dressed with oil, like chamois; also, the skins of oxen, elks, and other animals, dressed in like manner.
- (n.) A military coat, made of buff leather.
- (v. t.) To strike.
• Buffeter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who buffets; a boxer.
• Buffalo Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The buffalo fish. See Buffalo fish, below.
- (n.) A species of the genus Bos or Bubalus (B. bubalus), originally from India, but now found in most of the warmer countries of the eastern continent. It is larger and less docile than the common ox, and is fond of marshy places and rivers.
- (n.) Any species of wild ox.
- (n.) The bison of North America.
- (n.) A very large and savage species of the same genus (B. Caffer) found in South Africa; -- called also Cape buffalo.
- (n.) A buffalo robe. See Buffalo robe, below.