• Bull Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) A seal. See Bulla.
- (n.) Taurus, the second of the twelve signs of the zodiac.
- (v. i.) A grotesque blunder in language; an apparent congruity, but real incongruity, of ideas, contained in a form of expression; so called, perhaps, from the apparent incongruity between the dictatorial nature of the popes bulls and his professions of humility.
- (n.) The male of any species of cattle (Bovidae); hence, the male of any large quadruped, as the elephant; also, the male of the whale.
- (v. t.) To endeavor to raise the market price of; as, to bull railroad bonds; to bull stocks; to bull Lake Shore; to endeavor to raise prices in; as, to bull the market. See 1st Bull, n., 4.
- (a.) Of or pertaining to a bull; resembling a bull; male; large; fierce.
- (v. i.) To be in heat; to manifest sexual desire as cows do.
- (v. i.) A letter, edict, or respect, of the pope, written in Gothic characters on rough parchment, sealed with a bulla, and dated "a die Incarnationis," i. e., "from the day of the Incarnation." See Apostolical brief, under Brief.
- (n.) A constellation of the zodiac between Aries and Gemini. It contains the Pleiades.
- (n.) One who operates in expectation of a rise in the price of stocks, or in order to effect such a rise. See 4th Bear, n., 5.
- (n.) One who, or that which, resembles a bull in character or action.
• Bulla Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A leaden seal for a document; esp. the round leaden seal attached to the papal bulls, which has on one side a representation of St. Peter and St. Paul, and on the other the name of the pope who uses it.
- (n.) A genus of marine shells. See Bubble shell.
- (n.) A bleb; a vesicle, or an elevation of the cuticle, containing a transparent watery fluid.
- (n.) The ovoid prominence below the opening of the ear in the skulls of many animals; as, the tympanic or auditory bulla.
• Bullfeast Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Bullfight.