• Burdening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Burden
• Burden Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A fixed quantity of certain commodities; as, a burden of gad steel, 120 pounds.
- (n.) The drone of a bagpipe.
- (n.) The proportion of ore and flux to fuel, in the charge of a blast furnace.
- (v. t.) To impose, as a load or burden; to lay or place as a burden (something heavy or objectionable).
- (n.) A birth.
- (n.) That which is borne with labor or difficulty; that which is grievous, wearisome, or oppressive.
- (n.) The capacity of a vessel, or the weight of cargo that she will carry; as, a ship of a hundred tons burden.
- (n.) The verse repeated in a song, or the return of the theme at the end of each stanza; the chorus; refrain. Hence: That which is often repeated or which is dwelt upon; the main topic; as, the burden of a prayer.
- (n.) The tops or heads of stream-work which lie over the stream of tin.
- (n.) A club.
- (v. t.) To oppress with anything grievous or trying; to overload; as, to burden a nation with taxes.
- (n.) That which is borne or carried; a load.
- (v. t.) To encumber with weight (literal or figurative); to lay a heavy load upon; to load.