• Butting Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An abuttal; a boundary.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of But
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Butt
• Butt Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To join at the butt, end, or outward extremity; to terminate; to be bounded; to abut.
- (n.) The common English flounder.
- (v. t.) Alt. of But
- (v. i.) To thrust the head forward; to strike by thrusting the head forward, as an ox or a ram. [See Butt, n.]
- (n.) A large cask or vessel for wine or beer. It contains two hogsheads.
- (v. t.) To strike by thrusting the head against; to strike with the head.
, Butt joint
• Butte Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A detached low mountain, or high rising abruptly from the general level of the surrounding plain; -- applied to peculiar elevations in the Rocky Mountain region.
• Butting joint Definition & Synonyms
- () A joint between two pieces of timber or wood, at the end of one or both, and either at right angles or oblique to the grain, as the joints which the struts and braces form with the truss posts; -- sometimes called abutting joint.